Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Last Post from the UK

Tomorrow morning I will be heading to the airport, and I should be back in the US mid-afternoon (local time). Yesterday (Tuesday) was the last day of research. I was back at the British Library Monday and yesterday to recheck a few things for some ideas I came up with. It's interesting that I was able to see everything on my list the first time I was at the library, but now one of them has a super special permission tag on it. It's possible that this particular book is undergoing repair or is being put into a display, but I wonder...

There was one time early on when I went to the desk to get a book, and the person who handed it over to me looked at the request slip and said that it was a little strange that the real book was out when there was a microfilm, but then they looked at the slip again and apparently the microfilm had gone missing. If someone found that microfilm, then I must have gotten really lucky because being able to see a manuscript that's been reproduced is far more difficult than getting to see one that hasn't, and microfilm is no fun to work with. This is especially true when the manuscript in question has unique qualities which this one does. It has some large and really creepy-interesting illustrations, and all the texts seem to concentrate on death.

Today I did some last touristy things. I went to the National Portrait Gallery to which I have never been, found the main BBC building (they have a life-sized TARDIS in there- pictures were taken), went to my favorite bubble tea place one last time, agonized over the weight of my suitcase and trying to get things to fit into my carry on (I really hope the cute felt hat I got doesn't get too squished), and of course one last dinner traditional British dinner at the local Kebabish. Fried food at its best-worst, depending on how you look at it. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment