Sunday, April 6, 2014

Off-Campus workspaces III

Last but not least of my reviews of local places in which I have spent work time, we have the Bayview location of Stone Creek Coffee.

 Coffee:The coffee (by which I mean espresso) here seems a little more acidic than other places, but in mocha application, there is a good balance between espresso and chocolate. They use powder here as well and not too much of it. The latte specials are more varied, which I like because this means that I can try out new flavor combinations, Currently, they have a honey-cranberry latte which interests me, and a lavender latte which scares me. I have yet to try either, but this will likely change in the not-too-distant future.

Space: This place is not set up for studying. It has a few smaller tables, but the rest is bar/counter space. If you can get a table, it's great, but those are not always easy to come by. This is a coffee place, and is set up to reflect emphasis on the coffee as opposed to food or atmosphere.

Internet and computer accessibility: The Wi-Fi here is unlimited, but the signal does not always work and can be slower. I have had trouble connecting to the Internet with a laptop in particular, but the computer works perfectly well at other coffee shops. Likewise, other devices have little trouble picking up and using the signal here. I'm not tech-savy enough to even speculate why this is. I can say though that because of the spatial set-up, there is limited access to plug-ins. I f you plan on settling in here for more than a few hours, you either need to be lucky in your seat, or have a really good battery at full charge.

Clientele:Because of the size, this shop tends to attract more people here by themselves or in smaller groups. People also seem more interested in the actual coffee than the hanging out. This isn't to say that book clubs or families don't come here; they do. However, when you come with a group of more than two, you have to get a little creative about seating, which can lead to customer interaction ('can we use this chair?' for example). This more interactive vibe is friendly and helps to counteract the more fragmented seating arrangements.

No comments:

Post a Comment